Friday, 19 February 2010

Copa Libertadores 2nd Phase Week 2

Group 3

Alianza Lima 4-1 Estudiantes

Huge shock in Lima as the holders Estudiantes were humbled by Alianza. The game has started so well for Estudiantes when Jose Sosa put them ahead with their first attack of the match. Alianza fought back and a double strike from Wilmer Aguirre put the home side ahead at the break. Aguirre then completed his hat-trick with 74 minutes on the clock and Jose Fernández put the home fans into dream world by adding a fourth six minutes from time.

Group 4

Libertad 4-0 Blooming
Universitario 2-0 Lánus

Blooming continue to struggle to find their feet at this level, the Bolivians were easily disposed of by Libertad of Paraguay. Victor Cáceres put Libertad ahead on the stroke of half time, but Blooming didn't help their own cause. Losing two players to red cards in the space of three minutes. Fabricio Brandao was the first to go four minues after half time and Andres Imperiale followed soon after. Both dismissed for second yellow cards. Libertad weren't going to say no to this opportunity and cashed in. Rodolfo Gamarra doubled the lead, Victor Ayala added a third and a second from Gamarra wrapped things up. Universitario made it two from two after victory over Lánus. Peiro Alva put the home side ahead in the 18th minute and as Lánus chased the game Gianfranco Labarthe added a second two minutes from time.

Group 6

Deportivo Cuenca 1-4 Banfield

Banfield continued their impressive start with a second successive win. Walter Erviti put them ahead in Ecuador against Deportivo Cuenca after 35 minutes and Sebastian Fernández doubled the lead three minutes later. A second from Fernández on the hour put the game safe and James Rodriguez wrapped things up. The only downside for Banfield was the dismissal of Marcelo Bustamante in the incident which allowed Gabriel Mendez to claim a consolation from the spot for Deportivo Cuenca.

Group 7

Colo Colo 1-0 Deportivo Italia

Colo Colo and Deportivo Italia made their opening appearances in the group stage in this years competition and it was the Chilean team who staked their claim with an opening victory. The Venezuelan team, in their tenth appearance in the competition will be proud of their efforts in their first game on this stage since 2001. The game was decided by a single goal and that came from Esteben Paredes with 58 minutes on the clock.

Group 8

Universidad de Chile 1-0 Caracas FC

A single goal from the penalty spot from Juan Manuel Olivera with just two minutes on the clock was enough to see Univerdidad de Chile home against Caracas of Venezuela. The other two teams in the group begin their campaigns next week.

No comments: