Saturday, 26 March 2011

Copa Libertadores Week 8

Group 1

Libertad 2-2 Once Caldas
San Luis 3-1 Universidad San Martin

Libertad remain unbeaten and at the top of Group 1 after a late late goal rescued their unbeated record against Once Caldas. Wason Rentería put Once Caldas ahead with twelve minutes on the clock but Nicolas Pavlovich levelled four minutes later. A second for Rentería with twenty minutes on the clock restored the Once Caldas lead and it seemed they were going to get their first win of the campaign but a second for Pavlovich as the game went into injury time rescued Libertad and gave Once Caldas their fourth straight draw. San Luis got themselved back in the hunt for the round of 16 when they sent Universidad San Martin to a third straight defeat. Juan Medina and Michael Arroyo had San Luis two up within the opening fourteen minutes. Ronald Quinteiros halved the deficit on the hour but a second from Arroyo restored the two goal lead with fifteen minutes to go. Quinteiros then got himself sent off with twelve minutes to go.

Group 2

Oriente Petrolero 2-0 León de Huánuco

Bolivian side Oriente Petrolero picked up their first victory of the campaign when they had too much for León de Huánuco of Peru. Alcides Peña put Oriente Petrolero ahead with seventeen minutes on the clock and they were assured of victory when Jhasmani Campos for the second twelve minutes from time. That result leaves both teams with little chance of progressing into the round of 16.

Group 3

Fluminense 3-2 América

In the live Premier Sports offering Fluminense got their campaign back on track when they picked up their first victory of the campaign against América of Mexico at the Engenhão. Fluminense had to do it the hard way after falling behind to a Vicente Sánchez goal with fifteen minutes gone. Although Gum levelled matters six minutes later a second from Sánchez restored the América lead with eighteen minutes to go. As it stood Fluminense were on the brink of elimination but Araújo levelled with ten minutes left and Deco grabbed a dramatic winner with three minutes to go.

Group 4

Caracas FC 0-2 Universidad Católica
Vélez Sarsfield 2-1 Unión Española

In what is proving to be a tight group, Universidad Católica went top after a stunning victory at Caracas FC. Jose Villanueva put the visitors ahead four minutes after the break and Lucas Pratto ensured the win five minutes from time. Frustration grew in the home ranks and Nelson Barahona saw red two minutes from time. After back to back defeats in the competition Vélez Sarsfield were another team to get back on track after victory over Unión Española. Emiliano Papa put Vélez ahead half way through the first half but Leandro Delgado levelled for Unión Española ten minutes before the break. The Vélez winner came from Santiago Silva twenty minutes from time, three points cover all four teams in the group and anyone can still qualify.

Group 8

Godoy Cruz 1-1 Independiente

In the all Argentinian clash in Mendoza Godoy Cruz went top of Group 8 after a 1-1 with Copa Sudamericana holders Independiente. The visitors actually made the perfect start when they took the lead Matias Defedrico with less than a minutes on the clock. Godoy Cruz levelled eleven minutes before the break when Ruben Ramírez found the back of the net. Like Group 4, all four teams can still qualify for the round of 16 with two games to go.

Next weeks fixtures

Deportes Tolima v Estudiantes
Internacional v Jorge Wilstermann Live on Premier Sports
Guaraní v Cruzeiro
Peñarol v Godoy Cruz

Premier Sports TV is the new live home of South American football in the UK
You can subscribe at or call 0871 663 9000

No comments: