Thursday, 27 October 2011

Copa Sudamericana week 13

Santa Fe 4-1 Botafogo
Santa Fe advances 4-1 on points
Vasco da Gama 8-3 Aurora
3-3 on points, Vasco da Gama advances on goal difference
Libertad 2-0 São Paulo
3-3 on points, Libertad advances on goal difference
Universidad de Chile 1-0 Flamengo
Universidad de Chile advances 6-0 on points

The Round of 16 finally came to a close this midweek as the final four ties were settled. The Tuesday game saw Botafogo of Brazil put all their eggs in the Brasileirão basket when they sent a reserve side to Colombia to take on Santa Fe. Level on aggregate from the first leg at the Engenhão four weeks ago it took Santa Fe just two minutes to go ahead on the night and on aggregate, Óscar Rodas striking for the home side and six minutes later Omar Pérez doubled the lead. It got worse for Botafogo on the stroke of half time when Leo scored into his own net and a second for Rodas just after the hour put the icing on the cake. Alexandre Oliveira got a consolation goal for the visitors three minutes from time but the misery was piled on further when Alex got himself stupidly sent off in injury time. Santa Fe will now face Vélez in the last eight.

Brazilian league leaders Vasco da Gama were a team still taking things seriously as they sent out a full strength side to try and claw a two goal deficit back against Aurora of Bolivia at the São Januário. Vasco struck first with just nine minutes on the clock when Bernardo reduced the aggregate deficit to one but seven minutes later the visitors levelled, Augusto Andaveris with the goal. Nine minutes before the break Aurora suffered a blow when Gonzalo Galindo was sent off for a second yellow card and by half time the tie was completely level thanks to two goals from Alecsandro. Vasco went ahead for the second time in the tie when Leandro scored four minutes after the break and it seemed Vasco were on their way to the last eight when Juninho Pernambucano converted from the spot twenty minutes from time. Two minutes later though, the tie was on again and Aurora were a goal away from qualifying after Doinedes Peña converted from the spot but a second from Bernardo eight minutes later gave Vasco breathing space again. Four minutes later Dougles made it seven on the night but Aurora didn't give up and Ronald Segovia got their third on the night three minutes from time. The scoring wasn't done their though as Allan got Vasco's eighth in injury time to see them through to a last eight tie with Universitario of Peru.

In Asunción, new São Paulo coach Emerson Leão was in charge for the first time and with their league form wavering this competition probably represented their best change of securing any Libertadores football at the Morumbi next year. It meant a pretty full strength team appeared in Asunción but Libertad were not in the mood for taking any prisoners. A stupid foul from Luís Fabiano gave Libertad the chance to take the lead from the spot with just ten minutes gone and Sergio Aquino smashed the ball past Rogério Ceni to level the tie on aggregate. Libertad were dominant and São Paulo couldn't get back into the game at all the the home side wasted opportunities to go ahead on the night and in the tie. They finally went ahead in the tie half way through the second half when José Nuñez sent the home crowd into raptures. An away goal would have put São Paulo through but Libertad held on and they face LDU Quito in the last eight.

The Premier Sports TV cameras were at the National Stadium in Santiago as Flamengo were faced with overturning a four goal deficit from the last week's first leg against Universidad de Chile at the Engenhão. Shares in Azul Azul, who own and manage the Chilean club, surged after last weeks success and they will have gone even higher after a 1-0 victory last night put them into the last eight. Flamengo, still in a fight for top spot in the Brasileirão, knew their goose was cooked and they sent a reserve side for the game and Vanderlei Luxemburgo only named four players on the bench as they prioritised Saturday's trip to Porto Alegre to face Grêmio. Universidad were on top from the start and the inexperienced Flamengo side struggled to find their feet and it was no surprise when Marcelo Diaz put the home side ahead half way through the first half. It was a superb goal, Eduardo Vargas with the lay off and Diaz beat Paulo Victor from twenty five yards out. Universidad continued to press but the Flamengo defence held firm under the pressure but it's the Chilean side who progress to take on Arsenal in the last eight.

The Quarter Finals get underway next week, at the time of writing CONMEBOL have yet to confirm the schedule for next week but all games, if possible, will be covered live by Premier Sports TV

They line up like this
Vélez Sarsfield v Santa Fe
LDU Quito v Libertad
Universidad de Chile v Arsenal
Universitario v Vasco da Gama

Premier Sports TV is the home of South American football in the UK
You can subscribe at or by calling 0871 663 9000

No comments: