Saturday, 20 August 2011

Brasileirão Petrobras - Week 17

Fluminense 3-0 Figueirense
Avaí 0-2 Vasco da Gama
Ceará 3-0 Grêmio
Atlético Paranaense 2-1 Cruzeiro
Santos 2-3 Coritiba
Internacional 1-0 Botafogo
Atlético Mineiro 2-3 Corinthians
Palmeiras 1-1 Bahia
Flamengo 1-4 Atlético Goianiense
América Mineiro 1-1 São Paulo

Fluminense kept up their remarkable record of not drawing a game all season when their put back to back defeats behind them with victory over Figueirense at the Engenhão. All the goals came in the second half and it was Edinho who opened the scoring four minutes after the break. Two minutes later former Goias striker Rafael Moura doubled the advantage and his second twenty minutes from time wrapped things up. Vasco da Gama's great season continued when they defeated managerless Avaí at the Recassada. Diego Souza put Vasco ahead with twenty seven minutes gone and Dedé doubled the lead midway through the second half. Avaí finished the game with ten men after Robinho was sent off seventeen minutes from time. Grêmio's poor away record continued after they came back empty handed from the long trip up north to Ceará. Eusébio put Ceará ahead eleven minutes before the break and Marcelo Nicácio doubled the advantage a minute after the break. The home side wrapped things up twenty minutes from time when Marcelo Nicácio got his second of the game. Atlético-PR hauled themselves out of the relegation zone with a vital victory over Cruzeiro at the Arena de Baixada. Marcinho put Atlético-PR ahead with half an hour gone but three minutes later Wellington Paulista levelled for Cruzeiro. It looked like it was going to be honours even until Atlético-PR snatched all three points a minute from time when Cléber Santana grabbed a winner.

Santos dropped into the relegation zone after twice letting a lead slip against Coritiba. Borges put Santos ahead with just four minutes on the clock but Jeci's equaliser twelve minutes before the break sent the teams into half time level. Santos restored their lead eleven minutes after the break when a tenth goal of the season for Borges restored their lead. Nine minutes later Coritiba were level again through Marcos Aurélio and they gained a man advantage fifteen minutes from time when Pará was sent off. The Coritiba winner came three minutes from time from Léo Gago and Santos finished with nine men after captain Edu Dracena was shown a straight red card in injury time. Internacional made it three games unbeaten in the league when a single goal was enough to see off Botafogo at the Engenhão. Leandro Damião's seventh goal of the season twelve minutes after the break was enough to give the home side all three points as they continue their chase for a Libertadores spot in 2012. While others were failing around them Corinthians took advantage to go clear at the top of the table after a dramatic fightback gave them all three points at Atlético-MG. Dude Cearense put Atlético-MG ahead with fourteen minutes gone and Guilherme doubled the lead from the spot thirteen minutes later. What ever Tite said in the dressing room at half time seemed to work, Emerson pulled a goal back four minutes into the second half and after Atlético-MG had Réver sent off Alex converted from the penalty spot to level things up. Corinthians won it sixteen minutes from time when Liédson got his sixth goal of the season.

On Thursday night at the Candidé, Palmeiras made it five games without a win when they were held by Bahia. Chilean star Jorge Valvida put Palmeiras ahead nine minutes after the break but they could only hang onto the lead for twelve minutes until Titi levelled for Bahia. The shock result of the night came at the Engenhão as Ronaldinho Gáucho less Flamengo were hammered by Atlético-GO to suffer their first defeat of the season. Pituca silenced the home fans when he put Atlético-GO ahead with thirteen minutes gone and it got worse when Juninho doubled the lead eight minutes before the break. Anselmo made it three six minutes after the break and substitute Diogo Campos made it four nine minutes from time. Jael got a consolation goal for Flamengo a minute later but the shine was taken off the Atlético-GO win when substitue Joílson was sent off three minutes from time for a second bookable offence. Finally in Sete Lagoas, São Paulo lost ground in the title race when they were held to a draw by bottom of the table América-MG. Both goal came in the last five minutes of the match it it was São Paulo who broke the deadlock when Marlos got the opening goal of the game. The lead lasted only a couple of minutes as a spectacular bicycle kick from Kempes got what could prove to be a valuable equaliser for América-MG.

We are a week away from the half way point of the season and week 18 looks like this.

Corinthians x Figueirense - LIVE on Premier Sports TV Freeview
Botafogo x Atlético Mineiro
Cruzeiro x Ceará
Internacional x Flamengo - Coverage on Premier Sports TV
Avaí x Coritiba
Atlético GO x Grêmio
São Paulo x Palmeiras
Vasco da Gama x Fluminense
Atlético PR x América Mineiro
Bahia x Santos

Premier Sports TV is the home of the Brasileirão Petrobras in the UK
You can subscribe at or by calling 0871 663 9000

No comments: