Monday, 21 February 2011

Campeonato Carioca - Taça Guanabara Semi Finals

Fluminense 2-2 Boavista
Boavista advances 4-2 on penalties
Flamengo 1-1 Botafogo
Flamengo advances 3-1 on penalties

In the Saturday Semi Final at the Engenhão, Boavista stunned Fluminense by winning in penalty shoot out to qualify for their first Guanabara final after the game finished 2-2 in 90 minutes. Fluminense took the lead with 8 minutes gone when a Marquinho free kick went over the wall and into the top corner. Boavista levelled three minutes later. Tony hammering a pile driver from 25 metres past Ricardo Berna and into the Fluminense goal. Fluminense went ahead again 8 minutes before the break, Dario Conca's free kick was just kept in by Rafael Moura whose header found Fred unmarked in the six yard area and he headed home.

Nine minutes after the break Boavista where level again when a Paulo Rodrigues found the out stretched foot of Andre Luis to find the back of the net and level matters. It stayed level at the conclusion of the 90 minutes and the game went straight to a penalty competition. During the penalties, Boavista keeper Thiago saved efforts from Conca and Rodriguinho while Boavista's Paulo Rodrigues, Tony, Frontini and Edu Pina converted each of their kicks to give Boavista the surprise win and put them into next weekends final.

In the Sunday Semi Final at the Engenhão, penalties were also required are Flamengo ended Botafogo's two year reign as Guanabara holders after defeating the Alvinegro 3-1 on penalties. Ronaldo Angelim put Flamengo ahead when he headed home after fourteen minutes a lead they were to take into the break. Botafogo drew level four minutes into the second half when "El Loco" Sebastian Abreu fired home from twelve yards to tie the game and ensure a shoot out.

So, for the second day in a row it was to be penalties that would decide the outcome of the game. It all went sadly wrong for Botafogo. Leo Moura, Renato and Fernando all scored their penalties for Flamengo but Felipe saved from Everton and Somália before Ranato Cajá put his effort wide of the right hand post to put Flamengo into next Sunday's final as they look for their first Guanabara success since 2008.

Troféu Washington Rodrigues Semi Finals

Resende 1-1 Bangu
Resende advances 5-4 on penalties
Nova Iguaçu 1-3 Olaria

In the Saturday semi final, Resdende advanced to the final of the Troféu Washington Rodrigues after defeating Bangu in a penalty shoot out. Resende took the lead with 27 minutes gone when Wellington put them ahead. Ricardinho levelled for Bangu four minutes after the break and it remained that way until the 90 minutes was up. The game went to penalties and Resende held their nerve but Thiago Galhardo missed for Bangu to send Resende into the final. In the only semi-final of the weekend not to go to penalties, Olaria will meet Resende after a 3-1 victory over Nova Iguaçu at the Engenhão. Despite going to behind on the half hour, Olaria were level by half time and two second half goals sealed things.

No comments: