Friday, 10 September 2010

Copa Sudamericana Week 6

Second Stage 1st Leg

Guaraní 1-1 Unión San Felipe
Atlético Huila 1-1 San José
Universitario 1-0 Cerro Porteño

In the opening game of the week in Asunción, an injury time penalty by Angel Aildozo gave Unión San Felipe of Chile a hard earned 1-1 draw with Guaraní and an away goal to boot. It looked like the home side were going to take a slender advantage into the second leg after Angel Ortiz had give Guaraní the lead ten minutes after the break until the late drama unfolded. Atlético Huila of Colombia fought back against San José of Bolivia to claim a draw ahead of the second leg. San José took the lead when Regis de Souza converted from the penalty spot after 27 minutes. It took another spot kick to level the game, that coming from Gonzalo Martínez on the hour. The final game of the week finally saw a positive result as Universitario of Bolivia gained a first leg lead over last season's beaten semi-finalists Cerro Porteño of Paraguay. One goal separated the teams and it came seven minutes from time from Roberto Galindo and it was enough to give Universitario the advantage for the second leg in a fortnights time.

Second Stage 2nd leg

Argentinos Juniors 1-1 Independiente
Independiente advances 4-1 on points

Two clubs in the lower reaches of the Primera División Apertura in Argentina met at the Estadio Diego Armando Maradona with Argentinos Juniors looking to overturn a single goal deficit from the first leg. Both teams are winless in the league but it was Argentinos Juniors who took the lead when Nestor Ortigoza converted to level the tie on aggregate. Independiente though grabbed a vital goal half way through the second half when Leandro Gracián levelled on the night to put Independiente in the box seat. It left Argentinos Juniors needing to score twice, a feat they couldn't achieve as Independiente qualified to meet the winner of Sport Huancayo and Defensor Sporting in the Round of 16.

More action coming up next week.

No comments: