Friday, 29 January 2010

Copa Libertadores First Phase 1st Legs

Colón 3-2 Universidad Católica
The 2010 Copa Libertadores got off to an entertaining start in Cólon as the home side gained a slender avantage for the second leg in Chile against Universidad Cátolica. The honour of the first goal of this years competition went to Federico Nieto who fired Colón ahead with 5 minutes on the clock but Juan Morales levelled the game ten minutes before half time. Colón turned the game on it's head with two quick goals midway through the second half. Esteban Fuertes with the first goal and three minutes later Facundo Bertoglio doubled the advantage. A second from Morales reduced the defecit but Universidad Cátolica will be without Jorge Ormeño for the second leg after he was sent off in injury time. Meanwhile in Venezuela, Deportivo Táchira, who finished with 10 men, will take a slender advantage into the second leg against Libertad of Praguay. Armando Maita with the only goal of the game with 27 minutes on the clock. Pedro Fernandez will miss the second leg after he was sent off on the hour.

No goals in Rosario as Emelec hung on for a goalless draw against Newell's Old Boys. Emelec are now in the box seat with the second leg due to take place at altitude in Ecuador. 2009 runners up Cruzeiro grabbed an away goal in Bolivia when Wellington Paulista put them ahead with only 7 minutes on the clock against Real Potosí. Cruzeiro were then reduced to 10 men in the 21st minute when Gilberto was dismissed. They almost held on to their lead but were pegged back two minutes from time when Roberto Correa gave Real some hope for the return in Belo Horizonte.

After a 40 year absence from the competition Juan Aurich of Peru made a successful return to the competition with a 2-0 win over Estudiantes Tecos of Mexico on their plastic pitch. Luis Tejada was the hero for Juan Aurich, he headed them ahead with just 10 minutes on the clock and doubled the advantage just short of the hour after splitting the Mexican's defence. An injury time goal from Martin Arzuaga salvaged a draw for the 10 men from Colombia's Junior against Racing Club of Uruguay. It had all started well for Junior when Emerson Acuña had out them ahead with 13 minutes gone but Mathias Mirabajes levelled for Racing Club on the half hour to send the teams in level at half time. Ignacio Pallas then gave Racing Club the lead half way through the second half before Roger Cambindo was dismissed for Junior. It looked like the Uruguayans would have a valuable advantage to take back to Montevideo until Mirabajes had his late say.

No comments: